It is pleasing to know that as from Monday 29th March, we will be allowed to play golf in 4s. However until Monday 17th May only outdoor catering will be allowed subject to the rule of 6 and takeways are also allowed. However this can cause the clubs insuperable difficulties.
As regards OMGS fixtures between 29th March and 17th May this has caused us the following difficulties:
- The match against Sherborne on 21st March has been cancelled. An alternative date for later in the year is being investigated.
- The match against Burnham and Berrow scheduled for Saturday 17th and Sunday 18th April has been cancelled.
- The Spring meeting scheduled for Friday 14th May has been cancelled but the AGM will still go ahead via zoom on Friday 14th May at 7:00pm. Further details will follow.
- The school match on 4th March has been postponed and we are looking at a date in October.
- The match against the common room has been postponed from 15th April until Thursday 2nd September.
If anyone has any query about a particular match, please let the match manager or myself know.
Please note that this match will now take place at the Royal Cinque Ports GC on Sunday 25th July 2021. Please register as normal and please see the news item on subsidies.
News item on subsidies
Please note that this match will now take place at the Berkshire on Sunday 17th October 2021. For those of you who have already registered, you have to do nothing as your registration is carried forward. For those of you who have not yet registered, now is your chance and please see the news item on subsidies.
The OMGS Committee has agreed new subsidies for 2001 matches and meetings. The subsidy will be based on the cost of a day's golf which includes the green fee and the cost of lunch as follows:
- Players 25 and under will receive a subsidy of 50% of the daily cost for both matches and meetings.
- Players 26 to 30 will receive a subsidy of 40% of the daily cost for both matches and meetings.
- Players 31 to 35 will receive a subsidy of 25% of the daily cost for both matches and meetings.
- Players 36 and over will receive a subsidy of 25% of the daily cost for attending meetings.
The above policy is designed to encourage youngsters to play in matches and everybody to attend meetings. The scheme will be reviewed annually.
Match managers will be encouraged to include the estimated cost of the day on the website so that members can see what their indebtedness will be when they register. Any queries should be referred to the secretary; firstname.lastname@example.org
The Burhill match on Saturday, 12 June 2021 has regrettably had to be cancelled as the club have arranged a big event of their own on that day and an alternative date can’t be found.
It is clear that we will not be playing any golf for at least the next few weeks. The Under 30s v Over 30s and the match against Deal have already been postponed and more I am afraid will follow. However, please keep registering for matches and meetings as we will try and re schedule those events which fall foul of the virus provided there is sufficient interest. Please also keep looking at this news page as I will be posting regular updates. Happy new year and keep safe. Bob
Thanks to Oliver Hickling, all members can now buy white Calloway 'Swing Tech Solid' polo shirts with the OMGS logo. The plan is to take orders before 31st December so that we can do a bulk order for delivery during January, in time for our first matches in February
Why not place your order now from the OMGS ONLINE SHOP
The 2021 fixture card has been submitted to the printers for printing. Those who have indicated in their profiles that they wish to receive a printed copy of the fixture card will receive one in the next few weeks. If you have not requested a printed fixture card but would like to receive one, please update your profile
In the meantime, you can download a PDF copy of the new look fixture card from the FIXTURES PAGE
The Honorary Secretary, who is an expert on these matters, has put together a very helpful and brief guide to the new World Handicapping System that comes into force on Monday 2nd November
WHS summary and overview.pdf
The Autumn Meeting at Deal on Friday 9th October has proved very popular with the maximum number of registrations already reached. If you didn't get your name down in time but would like to play, please register anyway and you will be put on a reserve list
There is no game available at Royal St George's on the Saturday this year because that s the day of the club's Autumn Meeting
Of course we are in the lap of the Gods as regards COVID19 is concerned, but let us hope for the best. Time will tell.
If you want to register for a match or meeting, please go to the Fixtures page for all the details:
© The Old Marlburian Golfing Society